Worker’s Justice Project (WJP) (workersjustice.org) was founded in 2010 to address the racial and economic injustices that low-wage immigrant workers face in New York City by building collective power to win institutional change. WJP runs two long-standing worker’s centers in Brooklyn. We promote justice and opportunity for low-wage immigrant workers in New York City by pushing for systematic enforcement and expansion of workplace protections, which include labor and occupational health and safety standards while advocating for
industry-specific efforts to improve working conditions. WJP also offers skills-building training to workers in health & safety and industry-specific areas, and we educate immigrant communities about their rights in the workplace and how to exercise those rights.
WJP is a fiscally sponsored project of TSNE (tsne.org).
The Health & Safety Specialist works in both Worker’s Justice Project worker center locations in Williamsburg and Sunset Park (Brooklyn, NY). WJP is seeking a safety and health specialist to develop, coordinate and conduct safety and health training and campaigns in New York City for construction workers and low-wage workers. In addition to conducting training, the job includes outreach to workers, community-based organizations and distribution of appropriate safety and health materials. Candidates must be a self-starter, able to work independently and have a demonstrated record of successful programmatic work.
The Health & Safety Specialist will be working with and directly with the Health and Safety Team to strengthen and expand WJP’s membership, to win concrete, transformative workplace campaign victories, build a culture of safety in the workplace and contribute to long-term movement building in New York City and beyond.
This is a TEMPORARY, salaried, exempt position and reports to the Health and Safety Manager.
We will consider exceptional candidates who demonstrate a strong combination of the specific qualifications and skills described below.
● Experience working with low-wage workers, community organizations, and/or unions;
● Fluency in Spanish;
● Active OSHA-authorized construction trainer;
● Organizing experience;
● Health and Safety background and knowledge;
● Outstanding teaching skills;
● Demonstrated ability to develop curricula and educational materials;
● Organizational and program development skills;
● Excellent writing and communication ability;
● Strong attention to detail and organizational skills;
● Demonstrated initiative and self-direction in pursuing projects and goals;
● Demonstrated ability to interact effectively and work successfully with persons of diverse backgrounds, including people with different racial, ethnic and class backgrounds, people of different genders, and people with disabilities;
● Strong written and verbal communications skills in English and Spanish;
● Ability to handle multiple priorities at the same time;
● Dedication and ability to work a flexible schedule including early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends.
Physical Demands/Work Environment
The physical demands described here are representative of those for this position. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the functions. Work is performed in an office environment and in close proximity to other workers.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee is required to:
● There may be a need to lift and/or move materials or equipment.
● Able to work outdoors in inclement weather conditions.
● Able to commute using the NYC public transportation system.
● Able to work in an open office space
● Able to work a flexible schedule including early mornings, evenings, and/or weekends as needed.
● Handle, or feel objects, tools or controls.
● Reach; traverse; sit or stand (usually for longer periods of time); occasionally ascend/descend; and position self (to) move.
● Extended periods of time in front of a computer screen is an essential aspect of the position.
● Lift and/or move up to 25 pounds.
● The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
● Job is not subject to significant occupational or environmental hazards.
● Likelihood of personal injury would be relatively slight.
● Environmental and work hazards are not present to a measurable degree.
Compensation and Benefits
Location: Work will be primarily performed at the Williamsburg and Sunset Park Worker Centers/Hubs on-site and will travel periodically.
Schedule: This role requires the ability to work regularly on evenings and weekends.
Compensation: The starting salary for this position is $60,000 - $70,000/yr and is commensurate with experience.
Benefits: This position is eligible for a full benefits package including:
TSNE/WJP strives to achieve excellence through a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment that embraces all of our individual and collective differences. Black, Indigenous, People of Color, Middle Eastern and North African, Bilingual and/or Bicultural candidates, and LGBTQ2SIA+ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. We value and honor the unique talents, learning styles, and lived experiences of each individual that enrich and strengthen our workplace culture, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer.
All employment conditions are based on an individual’s performance and job qualifications. TSNE/WJP prohibits discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, creed, color, religion, native language, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin, physical or mental disability, age, genetic information, veteran status, marital status, parental status, pregnancy, race-based hairstyles, or any other protected characteristic stated by federal and state law. Regardless of any class’ protection under the law or lack thereof, TSNE/WJP celebrates diversity and values the strengths that come with having a diverse team of employees. It is represented in our workplace culture, and it is who we are.
TSNE/WJP's EEO statement extends to volunteers, interns, contractors, vendors, and clients.