The Interim Center Director (Director) is based in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, and is responsible for managing the Center staff and for program and organizational development. The Director will have the privilege of working with and directly supporting a team of Organizers and Member Leaders who are ready to strengthen and expand WJP’s membership, to win concrete, transformative workplace campaign victories, and to contribute to long-term movement building in New York City and beyond. The ideal candidate will not only align with WJP’s vision and politics, but will have a proven track-record of executing the work, delegating among their team members, and following through to the last detail. The Director will also be a member WJP’s management team serving as a key thought partner in shaping WJP’s overall organizational development, vision and strategy.
This is a six-month exempt, salaried position and reports to the Executive Director. The position may extend an additional six months based upon successful performance as evaluated by the Executive Director. Work outside of a regular workday schedule including some nights and weekends may be required to fulfill the responsibilities of the Center and its programs.
Team/Staff Management (60%)
The Director supervises, coaches and develops an eager and talented organizing team to ensure the implementation of goals and objectives adopted during worker organizing and campaign planning processes, and provides the tools and support needed to for the organizers to be successful and to thrive. These responsibilities include:
- Ensures that the organizing team sets and meets the highest standards of organizing.
- Holds regular one-on-ones with Organizers; develops and periodically assesses individual team member goals, work plans and performance, and identifies and provides ongoing staff development providing individual and team tools, resources, and trainings;
- Supports the creation of a harmonious, sustainable, and effective work environment by developing trusting, genuine, and respectful relationships with all team members (in particular with direct reports) and proactively identifies and addresses individual and personal challenges faced by team members; Tracks and evaluates team members’ workloads while promoting sustainability, healthy communications and conflict resolution among the team as needed;
- Serves as the main cheerleader, motivator, and mentor for the organizing team and WJP’s member leaders.
Program Development (20%)
Leads all aspects of WJP’s organizing programs at the Center, including:
- Developing and implementing a membership recruitment and leadership development strategy in collaboration with the WJP management team, that combines field outreach and recruitment, campaign implementation, and in-house programs and services that lead to an increase in the number and participation of worker members each year;
- Engages the membership in sharpening their political analysis and leadership capacities by facilitating leadership programs and committees and distributed leadership structures;
- Creates curricula, tools and resources and holds one-on-one conversations and house meetings with members and potential members;
- Oversees, coordinates and staffs all membership spaces and activities at the Center, including monthly membership meetings, bi-weekly committee meetings, ad hoc membership socials, leadership training, and other events.
Organizational Development (20%)
- Participates actively as a WJP staff member, including in staff meetings, political education activities, fundraising, staff development, and other organizational priorities;
- Prompts efficient and compliant time-keeping, grant and program reporting, and other required personnel and administrative activities;
- Assists in the financial management and oversight of the Center, and WJP overall, as required;
- Proactively ensures the safety of staff and members at the Center and at all WJP activities and facilities.
- The Director will join weekly WJP team strategy sessions and will formally meet every two weeks the Executive Director to receive support in staff development and work plan implementation.